When I make this dish again, I will substitute plain yogurt, or greek yogurt, for the mayonnaise. I liked it with mayo, but I'd like to try it with yogurt to make the dish even lighter. This made a great dinner for Erik, Juliet and I and it was also great leftovers to take to lunch. In addition to dinner, this would be the perfect dish to bring to a summer BBQ. That's hard to imagine right now as we are facing a winter storm here in MN, but it's just 6 months away right?
Pasta with peas, shrimp and buttermilk-herb dressing (recipe adapted via My Recipes)
8 ounces uncooked pasta (any noodle works)
- 1 cup frozen green peas (can substitute edamame for peas)
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, cooked (I buy already cooked shrimp to keep things easier)
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise (or try plain yogurt)
- 1/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (I used dried, about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Add peas last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat and drain.
- 2. Combine pasta mixture, shrimp and radishes in a large bowl. Combine mayonnaise, buttermilk and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. Pour over pasta mixture, tossing to coat. Cover and let stand 20 minutes. Serve at room temperature, or cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Note, since the garlic is raw, I found it a bit overpowering, so next time I will cut the amount of garlic in half.