- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice or mace
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
- 1 large egg
- 1. Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- 2. Add the butter and pulse to combine.
- 3. Add the vanilla extract and egg and pulse until the dough forms into a ball.
- 4. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 6. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut out animal shapes.
- 7. Place cut outs on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.
- 8. Bake for 15 minutes.
- 9. Cool and serve.
Here are the mini animal cookie cutters I bought on Amazon. They worked great.
A couple notes about the recipe. When I made the dough in the food processor, it never formed into a ball like the directions say. Instead I checked the consistency it seemed a tad dry so I added a couple tablespoons of milk. Then I formed the dough into a ball by hand. After I removed the dough from the fridge it seemed a bit sticky so I added flour and rolled it out.
Juliet LOVES these animal crackers. Even more than the store-bought. She keeps asking for more and would eat them all day long if I let her. This recipe makes a huge batch, probably at least 4-6 dozen.
For other homemade toddler snacks check out these recipes: